There’s nothing like hot soup on a cold day to warm you from the inside out. This recipe is thick and delicious and packed with tasty nutrition. Serve over rice for a hearty, satisfying meal for the whole family.
Serves 4-6 and freezes well
- 1 small onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups vegetable stock or water
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1 small handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (Dr. Dacyshyn likes to double this)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- Peel and finely chop garlic and onions
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart pot. Add onions and garlic and Sauté for about 5 minutes or until very soft
- Add red lentils and vegetable broth or water. Cover pot and simmer for about 25 minutes or until lentils are very soft and cooked through
- While lentils are cooking, chop spinach and parsley until minced
- Add minced parsley and spinach to cooked lentils along with lemon juice and sea salt. Simmer on low for another 3-5 minutes. Can be served plain or over basmati or jasmine rice.
** This recipe has been used with the gracious permission of: The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. This is a great handbook for low-allergen, easy to prepare meals, and can be purchased at the Edmonton Clinic of Naturopathic Medicine.