This savory dish is slightly sweet thanks to the coconut milk, but still has a spicy kick from the garlic and chili flakes. Serve this tasty side dish with grilled chicken breast and a salad for a balanced meal any night of the week.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced small
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Rinse the dry quinoa under warm running water in a fine mesh strainer. Quinoa often has a bitter tasting coating on it that the warm water will remove.
- Place rinsed quinoa into a medium saucepan with the coconut milk, water, sliced green onions, diced red bell peppers, garlic, sea salt and chili flakes. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a low simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pilaf cool in the pot for about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and gently fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
** This recipe has been used with the gracious permission of: The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. This is a great handbook for low-allergen, easy to prepare meals, and can be purchased at the Edmonton Clinic of Naturopathic Medicine.